Authorities Call Off Search for Missing Uncle and Nephew Days After Fishing Boat Was Found Empty
Randall Spivey and Brandon Billmaier vanished on Friday, Dec. 19, authorities said
:max_bytes(150000):strip_icc():focal(753x498:755x500):format(webp)/Randall-Spivey-Brandon-Billmaier-missing-122125-69bb02c52dd74332b75ffa98836bdfe2.jpg)
Randall Spivey (left) and Brandon Billmaier (right).Credit :
Lee County Sheriff’s Office/Facebook
NEED TO KNOW
Randall Spivey and his nephew, Brandon Billmaier, went missing on a fishing trip off the coast of Florida on Dec. 19
The Coast Guard said that searchers found the two men’s boat adrift the following day
The agency has since announced that it was suspending the search for Spivey and Billmaier, calling the move a “difficult decision”
Authorities have suspended the search for a missing uncle and nephew whose boat was found empty.
Days after Randall Spivey, 57, and his nephew Brandon Billmaier, 33, vanished, the U.S. Coast Guard said that the search for the men would be suspended “at sunset” on Monday, Dec. 22.
The Coast Guard said their officials and other partner agencies had searched for the men by air and sea, spanning about 6,700 square miles. The agency added that on-scene weather conditions during the operation consisted of approximately 10 mph winds and 3-foot seas.
“The Coast Guard diligently searched with our pilots, boat forces, cutter crews, and numerous partners,” said Lt. Amy Harrison, search and rescue mission coordinator for Coast Guard Sector St. Petersburg, in a statement. “We saturated an incredibly large search area but, unfortunately, were unable to locate the two missing men.”
One day after the men disapperead, the Lee County Sheriff’s Office launched an urgent search on Saturday, Dec. 20, for the “endangered adults.”
“The two left early yesterday morning [Dec. 19] for a fishing trip on a 42FT Freeman boat from a residence on the 15000 block of Intracoastal Ct in Fort Myers,” the LCSO previously shared on Facebook.
The Coast Guard previously told PEOPLE that the agency was “working day and night with the goal of locating the missing boaters and returning them home to their loved ones.”
Billmaier’s wife, Deborah, announced a monetary reward on Instagram for anyone who found the two men.
“I am heartbroken posting this. My husband, Brandon, went out fishing yesterday with his uncle off the coast of Fort Myers,” she wrote in the post’s caption. “They left early in the morning on Friday, Dec. 19 and were meant to come back that afternoon.”
In its most recent news release, the Coast Guard said that its Air Station Clearwater helicopter crew found the boat adrift about 70 miles west of Fort Myers at approximately 12 a.m., on Saturday. The vessel was later brought back to Station Fort Myers Beach for additional investigation.
After careful review of the factors in the case, the agency said on Monday that it made the “difficult decision” to call off the search.
“There is no harder decision than suspending a search,” said Capt. Corrie Sergent, commanding officer of Coast Guard Sector St. Petersburg, in a statement. “I am incredibly grateful for the crews, partners, and volunteers across this community who executed this massive search with the utmost professionalism, persistence, and compassion. We offer our sincere condolences to the families and friends of Mr. Spivey and Mr. Billmaier during this extremely difficult time.”
Billmaier is an attorney with the Shiner Law Group, based in Florida, according to the company’s website. The firm issued a statement on Monday about Billmaier and Spivey, who is also a lawyer.
“On behalf of everyone at Shiner Law Group, we are deeply saddened by the disappearance of Brandon and his uncle, Randy,” said attorney David Shiner. “Brandon is a valued member of our firm and someone we care about tremendously, both as a colleague and as our friend. Brandon is an exceptional person and a great lawyer, and we are heartbroken.”
“Our hearts are with Brandon’s family and loved ones, and with everyone who is anxiously waiting for answers,” Shiner added.
‘There is no harder decision’: Coast Guard calls off search for missing Florida boaters
FORT MYERS, Fla. (WFLA) — On Monday evening, the U.S. Coast Guard officially suspended the search for two missing boaters who took off on a fishing trip from Fort Myers last week and never returned.
USCG said the search covered around 6,700 square miles, based on the boater’s last known position.
Randall Spivey, 57, and his nephew Brandon Billmaier, 33, left early Friday morning from a residential dock and were supposed to return home that afternoon.
When the men hadn’t come back by Friday night, Billmaier’s wife, Deborah Billmaier, contacted the U.S. Coast Guard, she wrote on Facebook.
A few hours later, their 42-foot boat was discovered, still in gear, roughly 70 miles offshore, but the men were nowhere to be found.
By Saturday morning, an extensive search had been launched, and local boaters had begun volunteering to join the efforts. So many offered to help that USCG asked civilian searchers to coordinate with them so they wouldn’t interfere with the official Search and Rescue crews. On Sunday, Deborah Billmaier wrote on Facebook that USCG informed her that the vessel’s Emergency Position Indicating Radio Beacon (EPIRB) was still onboard, meaning Spivey and Billmaier would not be able to signal their position to rescuers.
News
THERE WERE 2 NAMES SHE REFUSED TO SAY OUT LOUD…: Katie Price has opened up about the period Lee Andrews allegedly worked around “dangerous people” — and one late-night detail from that time is now getting attention👇
Katie Price’s husband worked with ‘dangerous people’ before disappearance The Dubai-based businessman has been missing for more than a week. Lee Andrews reportedly boasted about being an international arms dealer (Image: Instagram/Katie Price) Katie Price’s husband Lee Andrews reportedly “boasted” about…
7 STEPS FROM THE CORNER… THEN SHE WAS GONE: 56-year-old Donike Gocaj was walking to work before disappearing into a NYC manhole — and people are now focusing on one chilling detail: the orange safety cone reportedly sitting near the area that morning 👀👇
Woman Who Died After Falling In Uncovered NYC Manhole Identified As 56-Year-Old Grandma A witness who saw Donike Gocaj fall into the hole told WABC-TV she kept screaming, “I’m dying” over and over. Officials in New York City have announced…
SHE WAS JUST GOING TO WORK: Donike Gocaj, 56, was reportedly walking to her cleaning job when she suddenly disappeared into a New York City sewer
SHE WAS JUST GOING TO WORK Donike Gocaj, 56, was reportedly walking to her cleaning job when she suddenly disappeared into a New York City sewer. But what was found on her phone was what really shocked everyone… 👇 Beloved…
47 MINUTES UNDERWATER… Elite technical divers have returned to the Maldives cave system in the mission linked to the deaths of 5 Italian tourists
47 MINUTES UNDERWATER… Elite technical divers have returned to the Maldives cave system in the mission linked to the deaths of 5 Italian tourists — and attention is now shifting to one narrow section of the route crews reportedly spent…
“I SWEAR I’LL HELP BRING THEM BACK…” — A video is spreading online showing the final known moments of a rescue diver who later died during recovery efforts in the Maldives. The experienced diver had joined the mission to retrieve victims from an underwater cave area and was seen calm just before entering the water for the last time. Loved ones now say the footage feels like an unexpected goodbye. Watch below👇
In the crystal-clear turquoise waters of the Maldives, where paradise often masks peril, a rescue mission turned into a double tragedy that has gripped the world. Staff Sergeant Mohamed Mahdhee (also spelled Mahudhee or Mahdi in reports), a dedicated member…
2 SERGEANTS. 1 FAMILY. 1 NIGHT THAT CHANGED EVERYTHING… Ashley Munoz never made it back after the Highway 101 tr@g3dy… and now, what teammates are saying about their final meal together is leaving many emotional
Two sergeants. One family. One ordinary night that turned into a tragedy no one in Greenville can forget. The head-on collision on Highway 101 shortly after 12:45 a.m. on May 15, 2026, claimed five lives and left Sergeant Diana Munoz…
End of content
No more pages to load