Remains of triathlete finally found after shark was spotted with ‘human flesh’ off beach
Erica Fox was part of a swim group called the ‘Kelp Krawlers’, and had been out with them in the water the morning of her disappearance

Warning: This article contains graphic details of a shark attack which some readers may find distressing.
The remains of a triathlete who vanished during an early morning ocean swim have finally been recovered, following reports of a shark seen carrying what appeared to be human flesh.
Erica Fox disappeared last week while swimming off the coast of California, sparking an extensive search effort and widespread concern. Now, the 55-year-old’s father has tragically confirmed that a body recovered from the shoreline belongs to her.
Fox’s remains were found on Saturday afternoon (December 27) on a beach in Santa Cruz County, as Santa Cruz Sheriff’s Office revealed that rescue crews recovered a body from the ocean just south of Davenport Beach.
The discovery came one week after Fox was reported missing near Pacific Grove on December 21. At the time, two witnesses claimed they had seen a shark, the Mercury News reports.
Fox is understood to have been taking part in a regular morning swim with a local group when the incident occurred.

Erica Fox, pictured competing in 2009, was confirmed dead by her father James Fox (Erica Fox/Facebook)
A driver waiting at a stop sign close to the beach contacted the US Coast Guard, saying they had seen a shark breach the surface with what looked like a human body in its mouth.
A second witness also saw a shark breach the surface of the water in the same area.
When they became aware of the possible presence of a shark, members of the swim group, known as the Kelp Krawlers, immediately rushed back to shore.
It was only once everyone had regrouped that they realised Fox was missing. Her husband of 30 years, Jean-Francois Vanreusel, was among those who made it safely back to land.
Fellow swimmer Sharon Carey recalled the moment reality set in.
“It started to click that everybody was back on shore but Erica,” she told The Mercury News. “I just felt numb. I was hoping that maybe she got out of the water and then decided to walk back.”

Fox was part of a swim group called the ‘Kelp Krawlers’, and had been out with them in the water the morning of her disappearance (Erica Fox/Facebook)
While Fox’s father, James Fox, confirmed the remains that were recovered were those of his daughter’s. Sergeant Ryan Farotte of the Santa Cruz Sheriff’s Office told the Daily Mail that authorities ‘do not yet have confirmation on an ID’.
Fox was a highly experienced swimmer who had completed two half-Ironman races and competed in the Escape from Alcatraz triathlon for nearly two decades.
News
THERE WERE 2 NAMES SHE REFUSED TO SAY OUT LOUD…: Katie Price has opened up about the period Lee Andrews allegedly worked around “dangerous people” — and one late-night detail from that time is now getting attention👇
Katie Price’s husband worked with ‘dangerous people’ before disappearance The Dubai-based businessman has been missing for more than a week. Lee Andrews reportedly boasted about being an international arms dealer (Image: Instagram/Katie Price) Katie Price’s husband Lee Andrews reportedly “boasted” about…
7 STEPS FROM THE CORNER… THEN SHE WAS GONE: 56-year-old Donike Gocaj was walking to work before disappearing into a NYC manhole — and people are now focusing on one chilling detail: the orange safety cone reportedly sitting near the area that morning 👀👇
Woman Who Died After Falling In Uncovered NYC Manhole Identified As 56-Year-Old Grandma A witness who saw Donike Gocaj fall into the hole told WABC-TV she kept screaming, “I’m dying” over and over. Officials in New York City have announced…
SHE WAS JUST GOING TO WORK: Donike Gocaj, 56, was reportedly walking to her cleaning job when she suddenly disappeared into a New York City sewer
SHE WAS JUST GOING TO WORK Donike Gocaj, 56, was reportedly walking to her cleaning job when she suddenly disappeared into a New York City sewer. But what was found on her phone was what really shocked everyone… 👇 Beloved…
47 MINUTES UNDERWATER… Elite technical divers have returned to the Maldives cave system in the mission linked to the deaths of 5 Italian tourists
47 MINUTES UNDERWATER… Elite technical divers have returned to the Maldives cave system in the mission linked to the deaths of 5 Italian tourists — and attention is now shifting to one narrow section of the route crews reportedly spent…
“I SWEAR I’LL HELP BRING THEM BACK…” — A video is spreading online showing the final known moments of a rescue diver who later died during recovery efforts in the Maldives. The experienced diver had joined the mission to retrieve victims from an underwater cave area and was seen calm just before entering the water for the last time. Loved ones now say the footage feels like an unexpected goodbye. Watch below👇
In the crystal-clear turquoise waters of the Maldives, where paradise often masks peril, a rescue mission turned into a double tragedy that has gripped the world. Staff Sergeant Mohamed Mahdhee (also spelled Mahudhee or Mahdi in reports), a dedicated member…
2 SERGEANTS. 1 FAMILY. 1 NIGHT THAT CHANGED EVERYTHING… Ashley Munoz never made it back after the Highway 101 tr@g3dy… and now, what teammates are saying about their final meal together is leaving many emotional
Two sergeants. One family. One ordinary night that turned into a tragedy no one in Greenville can forget. The head-on collision on Highway 101 shortly after 12:45 a.m. on May 15, 2026, claimed five lives and left Sergeant Diana Munoz…
End of content
No more pages to load