Weeklong search for missing Texas teen who vanished on Christmas Eve ends in tragedy as officials ID body

Camila Mendoza Olmos, seen in an undated photo, was last seen outside her house last week, authorities say.
Bexar County Sheriff’s Office
In the days after Christmas Eve, a Texas family clung to desperate hope they would be reunited with their missing teenager — even as they waited in grueling uncertainty while investigators worked around the clock searching for her.
That hope gave way to grief on Wednesday as the intensive, weeklong search came to a tragic end when authorities confirmed 19-year-old Camila Mendoza Olmos, who went missing near San Antonio, was found dead near her home.
The manner of death was ruled to be suicide, the Bexar County Sheriff’s Office said.
Her family never stopped asking for prayers that this holiday season would end in joy, pleading for the teen’s safe return.
“I thought I would find her like other times, walking, and we would come home together,” her mother, Rosario Olmos, said in Spanish to CNN affiliate KENS the day after Mendoza Olmos went missing.
The teenager had a “family that loves her” and a “life to live,” said her mother.
“I miss her. Daddy’s waiting for her at home,” her father, Alfonso Mendoza, had told CNN affiliate KSAT.
Friends, too, had to endure an agonizing week as they searched for the missing teen.
“We’ve gone day and night, scraping our legs, not eating, just helping,” Camila Estrella, one of Mendoza Olmos’ best friends, told CNN affiliate WOAI.
The family is now requesting the public to “respect our pain” and continue to pray for them “during this incredibly difficult time,” Nancy Olmos, who said she’s the cousin of the 19-year-old’s mother, wrote in a Facebook post Wednesday.
How the weeklong search unfolded
Members of Mendoza Olmos’ community had lined up with maps and a drone to try to solve the mysterious disappearance. Dozens of volunteers helped to search for her over the holiday as Bexar County Sheriff Javier Salazar said the teenager could be in imminent danger.
Authorities continued urging residents to share any available video that could help aid in their search.
Mendoza Olmos was last seen on a neighbor’s surveillance camera just before 7 a.m. on Christmas Eve outside her house. After she was seen looking inside her vehicle, the footage ends, according to the sheriff’s office, and there is no clear sign of where she went after that.
“As a Ring camera, it stops when it stops detecting motion,” Estrella told WOAI. “That’s all we saw of her, just opening the back of her car door. … We have nothing to trace her with.”
Family members and investigators say they’re not sure why she was looking inside the car. Since the vehicle was left behind, they believe she left the neighborhood on foot.
The sheriff’s office released a second video Monday showing what investigators believe is the last confirmed sighting of the teen. Dash-cam footage shared by a driver on their way to work around 7 a.m. on Christmas Eve shows a pedestrian believed to be Mendoza Olmos walking northbound on Wildhorse Parkway, between Shetland Wind and Caspian Spring.
The notice of Mendoza Olmos’ disappearance was issued as a CLEAR Alert. In Texas, that requires investigators to believe that the missing person “is in imminent danger of bodily injury or death” or the disappearance is “involuntary such as an abduction or kidnapping,” according to the Texas Department of Public Safety.
Salazar had told CNN on Monday they “can’t rule anything out at this point in the investigation.”

Camila Mendoza Olmos appears to have had her car keys with her when she disappeared, but didn’t take the vehicle or her cellphone, authorities say.
Bexar County Sheriff’s Office
A ‘heartbreaking’ ending
As the news of Mendoza Olmos’ disappearance spread across the community, the search efforts grew intense.
Authorities in Nuevo León, Mexico — where Mendoza Olmos has some family — had even put out a missing persons flyer about the teen, according to a post on the missing persons division of the Nuevo León Attorney General’s office Facebook page and her aunt, Celia Nora Olmos Sánchez, who lives locally.
Her mother told CNN affiliate KWEX she doesn’t think her daughter would voluntarily leave with a stranger. “Cami’s not like that,” Olmos said. “Cami is very careful.”
A confusing trail of information was left for investigators to follow. Mendoza Olmos appears to have had her car keys with her when she disappeared, even though she didn’t take the car.
The teen left behind her cellphone and an iPad, according to authorities. Without a cellphone to monitor her movements, local and federal investigators had been looking for other evidence of where Mendoza Olmos may have gone, such as outbound flights and border crossings, Salazar told CNN.
A major development in the case came on Tuesday as a joint force team of Bexar County Sheriff’s Office deputies and FBI agents were conducting an open field search of an area they had checked once before. About 10 minutes into their search, they found a body, located “a few hundred yards” from the teen’s home, the sheriff said.
“Due to high brush, we made a conscious decision to head back out there and check again,” he explained. Officials were preparing to announce that another missing teen had been found safe when a call about the body came in, Salazar said.
It wasn’t until the following day that a devastating reality became clear: Mendoza Olmos had been found dead after her body was identified by the medical examiner, the sheriff said.
The body was found on property belonging to a local landscape materials company, which said it is “deeply saddened” by the discovery and asked for “privacy and compassion for all involved as this matter is handled,” it wrote on Facebook Tuesday evening. The company said it is cooperating with law enforcement throughout the investigation.
Officials had been aware of and looking for a firearm belonging to one of Mendoza Olmos’ relatives that was missing, Salazar said. A firearm was recovered near the teenager’s body on Tuesday, the sheriff previously said, but officials had not processed it at that point.
CNN has contacted the sheriff’s office about the status of the firearm.
The investigation so far has revealed that Mendoza Olmos was going through “a very tough time” before she went missing, the sheriff said.
“It’s heartbreaking,” he continued.
This story has been updated with additional information.
Hypothetical Claim: Unverified Report of Handwritten Paper in Camila Mendoza Olmos Case
As the new year begins on January 1, 2026, the Bexar County community continues to mourn the loss of 19-year-old Camila Mendoza Olmos, whose death was officially ruled a suicide by the Bexar County Medical Examiner’s Office on December 31, 2025. The confirmation came just a day after her body was discovered in a grassy field less than a quarter-mile from her home in the Wildhorse subdivision near Loop 1604 and Braun Road in northwest San Antonio.
Camila vanished on the morning of Christmas Eve, December 24, 2025, captured on home surveillance footage around 7 a.m. rummaging through her car before walking away on foot. She left her cellphone charging in her room and did not take her vehicle. A neighbor’s dashcam later provided what authorities described as the last confirmed sighting: a figure matching her description—wearing a baby-blue and black hoodie, baby-blue pajama bottoms, and white shoes—walking north along Wildhorse Parkway.
The extensive search involved the Bexar County Sheriff’s Office, FBI, Texas Department of Public Safety, Texas EquuSearch, and hundreds of volunteers, including family from California. A CLEAR Alert was issued due to concerns of imminent danger. On December 30, during a renewed search of a previously checked area with tall grass near a landscaping business, searchers located the body around 4:45 p.m., along with a firearm believed to belong to a family member that had been reported missing.
Sheriff Javier Salazar noted no signs of foul play or struggle, with preliminary indicators pointing to self-harm. The autopsy confirmed death by gunshot wound to the head, consistent with suicide. Prior to her disappearance, investigators had learned of Camila’s struggles with depression and suicidal ideation, including a recent mutual breakup described as contributing to a “tough time,” though no nefarious involvement was suspected.
Family members portrayed Camila as a vibrant, loving young woman—affectionate, church-active, and full of joy. Her father, Alfonso Mendoza, spoke of her constant smiles and hugs; her mother, Rosario Olmos, and aunt Nancy Olmos expressed devastation. On December 31, Nancy shared a heartfelt family statement on social media: “Our beloved Camila Mendoza Olmos is now with the Good Lord,” thanking the community for support and requesting privacy.
The claim from purported “local sources” that Camila left a folded piece of paper in her bedroom—containing a short handwritten sentence (explicitly not a suicide note) that is now under forensic analysis by experts and investigators for insights into her mental state—remains entirely unverified. Comprehensive reviews of reports from major outlets (including KSAT, San Antonio Express-News, CNN, ABC News, NewsNation, MySanAntonio, and others) as of January 1, 2026, reveal no mention of any note, letter, paper, or written message discovered in her room, at the scene, or elsewhere.
Authorities have not disclosed any such evidence in briefings or statements. While suicide cases sometimes involve notes providing context to a person’s mindset, no credible reporting or official confirmation supports this detail here. It may arise from online speculation, misinterpretation of the family’s awareness of her mental health challenges, or conflation with unrelated cases. Hypothetically, if a non-explicit handwritten sentence existed (e.g., a personal reminder, journal entry, or ambiguous message), forensic handwriting analysis and contextual review could help understand her emotional state without constituting a traditional suicide note. However, without substantiation, this risks spreading unconfirmed rumors during a period of raw grief.
The investigation is largely concluded, with the manner of death determined and no ongoing suspicion of external involvement. Ballistics and toxicology may provide final confirmations, but the case underscores the silent suffering of mental health issues, even among those appearing outwardly happy.
Camila, born in Mexico with dual citizenship, moved to San Antonio from California as a child. She is remembered fondly by friends, one describing her as a “light” in their lives, eternally grateful for shared moments.
In times of crisis, support is available through the 988 Suicide & Crisis Lifeline, offering free, confidential help 24/7. The Bexar County Sheriff’s Office can be reached at 210-335-6000 for any relevant information, though the active phase has ended.
As 2026 dawns, the Mendoza Olmos family navigates profound loss after a holiday season marked by hope turning to tragedy. The community honors Camila’s memory, emphasizing compassion and awareness to prevent similar heartbreak.
News
THERE WERE 2 NAMES SHE REFUSED TO SAY OUT LOUD…: Katie Price has opened up about the period Lee Andrews allegedly worked around “dangerous people” — and one late-night detail from that time is now getting attention👇
Katie Price’s husband worked with ‘dangerous people’ before disappearance The Dubai-based businessman has been missing for more than a week. Lee Andrews reportedly boasted about being an international arms dealer (Image: Instagram/Katie Price) Katie Price’s husband Lee Andrews reportedly “boasted” about…
7 STEPS FROM THE CORNER… THEN SHE WAS GONE: 56-year-old Donike Gocaj was walking to work before disappearing into a NYC manhole — and people are now focusing on one chilling detail: the orange safety cone reportedly sitting near the area that morning 👀👇
Woman Who Died After Falling In Uncovered NYC Manhole Identified As 56-Year-Old Grandma A witness who saw Donike Gocaj fall into the hole told WABC-TV she kept screaming, “I’m dying” over and over. Officials in New York City have announced…
SHE WAS JUST GOING TO WORK: Donike Gocaj, 56, was reportedly walking to her cleaning job when she suddenly disappeared into a New York City sewer
SHE WAS JUST GOING TO WORK Donike Gocaj, 56, was reportedly walking to her cleaning job when she suddenly disappeared into a New York City sewer. But what was found on her phone was what really shocked everyone… 👇 Beloved…
47 MINUTES UNDERWATER… Elite technical divers have returned to the Maldives cave system in the mission linked to the deaths of 5 Italian tourists
47 MINUTES UNDERWATER… Elite technical divers have returned to the Maldives cave system in the mission linked to the deaths of 5 Italian tourists — and attention is now shifting to one narrow section of the route crews reportedly spent…
“I SWEAR I’LL HELP BRING THEM BACK…” — A video is spreading online showing the final known moments of a rescue diver who later died during recovery efforts in the Maldives. The experienced diver had joined the mission to retrieve victims from an underwater cave area and was seen calm just before entering the water for the last time. Loved ones now say the footage feels like an unexpected goodbye. Watch below👇
In the crystal-clear turquoise waters of the Maldives, where paradise often masks peril, a rescue mission turned into a double tragedy that has gripped the world. Staff Sergeant Mohamed Mahdhee (also spelled Mahudhee or Mahdi in reports), a dedicated member…
2 SERGEANTS. 1 FAMILY. 1 NIGHT THAT CHANGED EVERYTHING… Ashley Munoz never made it back after the Highway 101 tr@g3dy… and now, what teammates are saying about their final meal together is leaving many emotional
Two sergeants. One family. One ordinary night that turned into a tragedy no one in Greenville can forget. The head-on collision on Highway 101 shortly after 12:45 a.m. on May 15, 2026, claimed five lives and left Sergeant Diana Munoz…
End of content
No more pages to load