CHILLING DISCOVERY: Missing 18-year-old Lily Hoope...

CHILLING DISCOVERY: Missing 18-year-old Lily Hooper has been found after an eight-day search in Nattai National Park, but something at the scene is now drawing attention and fuelling questions about what may have happened. Police say the discovery was made in remote bushland, away from her car and not on a clear walking path. That one detail is leaving people wondering whether this was simply a tragic disappearance — or whether there is more to the story than first thought…

SYDNEY — New South Wales Police have confirmed that the family of missing teenage bushwalker Lily Hooper was briefly and mistakenly told she had been found alive on Thursday morning, only for that hope to be shattered within minutes when authorities corrected the information and reported that her body had been located in dense bushland. Police have apologised for the error, attributing it to a communications breakdown born of relief and the challenges of radio contact in rugged terrain, while firmly rejecting any suggestion that they “jumped the gun.”

The body of the 18-year-old, who vanished eight days earlier while hiking in Nattai National Park in the NSW Southern Highlands, was discovered by SES volunteers at approximately 11.30am on Thursday, 20 August 2026. Formal identification has yet to be completed, but police say they believe the remains are those of Lily Hooper. Her recovery from the remote, thickly vegetated site is expected to take many hours and will likely involve carrying her out on foot, as aerial extraction has proven exceptionally difficult.

Lily, an experienced hiker from Oakdale in Sydney’s southwest, left home around 8am on Wednesday, 12 August, telling her family she planned a day walk in the national park. She failed to return by 10pm that evening, prompting her family to raise the alarm. Her car was found later that night parked on Wanganderry Road near the start of the Bonnum Pic Walking Trail, a challenging sandstone ridge route known for dense shrubbery, steep drops and complex cliff lines recommended only for experienced walkers.

What followed was one of the largest multi-agency search operations in recent NSW memory. Hundreds of personnel scoured the rugged landscape day and night. The effort ultimately involved nearly 1,000 people on the ground over the week, including more than 100 Australian Defence Force personnel, PolAir helicopters with thermal imaging, the NSW Police dog unit, Rural Fire Service, Fire and Rescue NSW, National Parks and Wildlife Service, NSW Ambulance, the Westpac Lifesaver Rescue Helicopter, and around 240 to 280 NSW SES volunteers trained in bush search and rescue. Family members remained stationed at the search command post throughout.

Initial police inquiries indicated Lily had reached the summit of Bonnum Pic mid-morning on the day she disappeared and had sent messages from the trail earlier that day. Detectives examined telecommunications data and focused searches on lower sections of the trail after poor weekend weather hampered operations. Despite her experience, authorities noted uncertainty about the supplies she carried.

On Thursday morning, after more than a week of searching, an SES volunteer located the body off the walking trail in “thick and dense terrain,” a significant distance from both the marked track and Lily’s vehicle. Assistant Commissioner Joe Cassar of the Southern Region told reporters in Moss Vale that the initial radio report from the scene indicated the teenager had been found alive. That information was relayed to the command post and then to Lily’s parents, who had been present and closely engaged with officers throughout the search.

“There’s no playbook to communication,” Cassar said. Searchers were using handheld radios in an area with known black spots and difficult reception. Within eight to ten minutes — some reports put the window closer to 18 minutes — a more accurate account reached the command post confirming she was deceased. A police officer who had been in daily contact with the family conveyed the initial positive report before the correction arrived.

NSW Police Commissioner Mal Lanyon later addressed the media in Goulburn and offered an unreserved apology. “I unashamedly apologise for any additional trauma that may have caused Lily’s family,” he said. “The miscommunication was born out of elation that Lily had been found and her condition at that time was such that searchers were relieved, and certainly those at the command post were elated. Tragically, that miscommunication then led to a deflation and obviously we know now an impact on her family.”

Lanyon emphasised that the error was not the result of reckless haste or “jumping the gun.” He described the sequence as a product of the intense relief felt by exhausted searchers after days of fruitless effort in punishing conditions, combined with the practical limitations of radio communications in remote bushland. Police and the SES will review the communications response as part of the broader investigation. Cassar noted that the temporary breakdown will form part of the brief of evidence prepared for the coroner.

The confusion extended beyond the family. NSW Premier Chris Minns was handed a note during a budget estimates hearing and, after checking its accuracy with a staff member, announced what he believed was “fantastic news”: that Lily had been found alive “in the bush with half a bottle of water with her.” He thanked the police, SES, Defence Force and hundreds of volunteers. A short time later, visibly distressed, Minns interrupted proceedings again. “I’ve got some terrible news,” he said. “I apologise to the committee, but it seems as if the early advice was wrong. Lily’s body has been found, and she has been found deceased. This is obviously devastating and I’m just profoundly sad for her family and all those concerned.”

In a subsequent statement, the Premier said he had genuinely believed he was sharing good news and offered his deepest condolences, expressing profound regret if his earlier comments added to the family’s heartbreak. Both Cassar and Lanyon said they did not know the origin of the specific detail about a half bottle of water. Local reporting has suggested a possible radio code involving a “water bottle” analogy — used in some search contexts to convey sensitive information discreetly — may have contributed to the misunderstanding when operators sought clarification of the finder’s report.

Criminal investigators from the Hume Police District have been tasked with gathering evidence as a matter of standard protocol for any unexplained death in such circumstances. A comprehensive report will be prepared for the coroner examining the time, place and circumstances of death, as well as aspects of the search and communications. Cassar has stressed that it is far too early to determine the cause of death or whether injuries were sustained. “We don’t have the experts that can inform us as to the time of death,” he said. “That will no doubt form part of the investigation.”

Earlier in the search, Detective Inspector Benjamin Carey (or Bowles in some reports) had indicated no foul play was suspected at that stage. The location of the body — well off any clear, walkable track and a considerable distance from the parked vehicle — has drawn public attention and online speculation. Some observers have pointed to the isolation of the site and the unexplained circumstances as reasons to wonder whether something more than a tragic accident occurred. Police have not indicated any evidence of criminality and continue to treat the matter within the framework of a coronial investigation supported by routine criminal investigator involvement. The priority remains the respectful recovery of Lily’s body and its return to her family.

Lily’s parents had issued a public statement earlier in the week describing themselves as “absolutely devastated” and pleading for their daughter to be brought home safely. They thanked emergency services and volunteers for their round-the-clock efforts while asking the public to refrain from joining the search due to the hazardous terrain. Bushwalking NSW President Jessie Burke had urged against speculation and defended solo hiking by women, noting that the majority of the association’s 11,000 members are women who regularly walk alone without inherent danger.

Prime Minister Anthony Albanese described the death as an “unspeakable tragedy,” saying Lily “had so much more to offer the world” and that her passing would be felt deeply across the Southern Highlands, among her family and friends, and across the nation. Federal opposition leader and local MP Angus Taylor said any parent reading the news would hug their children tighter and spare a thought for Lily’s family in their most terrible loss.

The Bonnum Pic trail and surrounding Nattai National Park are known for their beauty and their risks. Steep cliffs, dense undergrowth and sudden weather changes make the area unforgiving even for experienced walkers. Lily was described by those who knew her as someone who regularly tackled challenging routes and regarded bushwalking as one of her favourite pastimes. The precise sequence of events that led her so far from the marked path remains among the questions the coroner will seek to answer.

As recovery operations continue in the thick bushland, the focus for emergency services has shifted from search to the careful extraction of remains and the gathering of evidence for the coronial process. For Lily’s family, the brief window of false hope on Thursday morning has compounded an already unimaginable grief. Police have acknowledged the additional trauma caused by the miscommunication and pledged that such an error should not be repeated.

NSW Police Commissioner Mal Lanyon speaks with media after a body was located in the search for missing bushwalker Lily Hooper. Picture: 9News

The case has underscored both the dedication of the hundreds who searched tirelessly through difficult conditions and the inherent challenges of coordinating complex operations across remote terrain with imperfect communications. While public discussion continues about what may have happened in the final hours or days of Lily’s life, authorities maintain that the investigation is proceeding according to established protocols, without premature conclusions.

Lily Hooper’s body is expected to be formally identified in the coming days. A full coronial inquest will eventually examine all aspects of her disappearance and death. Until then, her family, the search volunteers who refused to give up, and a community that followed the story with growing concern are left to absorb the tragic conclusion of an eight-day ordeal that briefly flickered with false hope before delivering its devastating truth.

Despite her age, the teenager was an experienced hiker. Picture: Supplied

Despite her age, the teenager was an experienced hiker. Picture: Supplied

In the words of Commissioner Lanyon, the miscommunication arose from elation at finally locating the missing teenager. That elation proved tragically misplaced. Police insist they did not rush to judgment or “jump the gun.” They simply, in the fog of a difficult and emotional moment in dense bushland, conveyed incomplete information that took precious minutes to correct. For a family that had already endured eight days of agonising uncertainty, those minutes of mistaken belief that their daughter was alive will remain a particularly cruel footnote to an already heartbreaking story.

Disclaimer: This story is fictional and created for entertainment purposes only. Any names, characters, places, or events are fictitious or used fictitiously. No real person or organization is intended to be portrayed.

Related Articles