Celine Cremer. Photo: Tasmania Police
FacebookTwitterTumblrRedditLinkedInEmailMore than two years after Belgian backpacker Celine Cremer disappeared in Tasmania, a renewed search has uncovered her mobile phone. The discovery offers new hope of answers for her family and friends.
Cremer, 31, was last seen on June 17, 2023, and reported missing nine days later. She was believed to have gone on a solo bushwalk near Philosopher Falls in northwestern Tasmania. Her car was later found at a nearby trailhead, but an extensive search at the time failed to locate her.
These early searches continued until July 10, 2023, before being suspended due to worsening weather conditions and experts’ claims that she was unlikely to have survived in such conditions for so long.
Cadaver dogs were later deployed, but again, no trace of Cremer was found.

Celine Cremer’s car was found at Philosopher Falls car park on June 27, 2023. Photo: Tasmania Police
Phone discovered
Cremer’s family and friends remained determined to piece together what happened and to find her remains. This weekend, several of her friends traveled to Tasmania to take part in a fresh search led by private investigator Ken Gamble, whom they hired after official searches were scaled back.
Gamble has conducted nearly a dozen searches in the area. With permission from Cremer’s mother, he accessed her phone data to identify last-known locations and areas of bush that may have been overlooked.
Only hours into this latest search, volunteer Tony Hage, who was at the rear of the search line, spotted Cremer’s phone. Her friends quickly identified the purple Samsung device. It was found approximately 60 meters from her last known coordinates.
“They were delighted that something was positively found,” Hage said. “Everyone has high spirits now.”

Ken Gamble holds the newly found phone. Photo: Morgan Timms
The Tasmania Police have now reopened the case and have taken the phone for forensic examination.
“A police search controller is working closely with the private search party to ensure safety and that any discoveries are managed appropriately,” the police said in a statement. “We will remain in close contact with Celine’s family and will continue to assess any new information in a bid to provide them with answers and closure.”
The discovery has prompted criticism of the earlier police search, particularly given how close the phone was to previously searched areas.
“The average temperature was minus two degrees, with significant rainfall and snow to ground level,” Police Inspector Andrew Hanson told ABC News in response. “I’m certainly not going to stand here and say we couldn’t do things differently.”
Lost her way?
Police believe Cremer may have become lost while attempting to return to her car. Data from a tracking app on her phone suggests she may have left the main track in an effort to take a shortcut and get back to the parking lot more quickly in the dark.
“She reached a high point on a hill where the phone connected with satellites, allowing us to retrieve data,” Hanson explained. “That data stops at that point. Our theory is that she continued downhill into an area with poor coverage, either lost or dropped her phone, couldn’t locate it in the dark, and made the decision to continue in a straight line toward her car — unfortunately becoming lost.”
The search will continue over the coming days
News
THERE WERE 2 NAMES SHE REFUSED TO SAY OUT LOUD…: Katie Price has opened up about the period Lee Andrews allegedly worked around “dangerous people” — and one late-night detail from that time is now getting attention👇
Katie Price’s husband worked with ‘dangerous people’ before disappearance The Dubai-based businessman has been missing for more than a week. Lee Andrews reportedly boasted about being an international arms dealer (Image: Instagram/Katie Price) Katie Price’s husband Lee Andrews reportedly “boasted” about…
7 STEPS FROM THE CORNER… THEN SHE WAS GONE: 56-year-old Donike Gocaj was walking to work before disappearing into a NYC manhole — and people are now focusing on one chilling detail: the orange safety cone reportedly sitting near the area that morning 👀👇
Woman Who Died After Falling In Uncovered NYC Manhole Identified As 56-Year-Old Grandma A witness who saw Donike Gocaj fall into the hole told WABC-TV she kept screaming, “I’m dying” over and over. Officials in New York City have announced…
SHE WAS JUST GOING TO WORK: Donike Gocaj, 56, was reportedly walking to her cleaning job when she suddenly disappeared into a New York City sewer
SHE WAS JUST GOING TO WORK Donike Gocaj, 56, was reportedly walking to her cleaning job when she suddenly disappeared into a New York City sewer. But what was found on her phone was what really shocked everyone… 👇 Beloved…
47 MINUTES UNDERWATER… Elite technical divers have returned to the Maldives cave system in the mission linked to the deaths of 5 Italian tourists
47 MINUTES UNDERWATER… Elite technical divers have returned to the Maldives cave system in the mission linked to the deaths of 5 Italian tourists — and attention is now shifting to one narrow section of the route crews reportedly spent…
“I SWEAR I’LL HELP BRING THEM BACK…” — A video is spreading online showing the final known moments of a rescue diver who later died during recovery efforts in the Maldives. The experienced diver had joined the mission to retrieve victims from an underwater cave area and was seen calm just before entering the water for the last time. Loved ones now say the footage feels like an unexpected goodbye. Watch below👇
In the crystal-clear turquoise waters of the Maldives, where paradise often masks peril, a rescue mission turned into a double tragedy that has gripped the world. Staff Sergeant Mohamed Mahdhee (also spelled Mahudhee or Mahdi in reports), a dedicated member…
2 SERGEANTS. 1 FAMILY. 1 NIGHT THAT CHANGED EVERYTHING… Ashley Munoz never made it back after the Highway 101 tr@g3dy… and now, what teammates are saying about their final meal together is leaving many emotional
Two sergeants. One family. One ordinary night that turned into a tragedy no one in Greenville can forget. The head-on collision on Highway 101 shortly after 12:45 a.m. on May 15, 2026, claimed five lives and left Sergeant Diana Munoz…
End of content
No more pages to load