Spain mourns as train crash toll rises to 40
Spain begins three days of national mourning on Tuesday for the 40 people killed in a high-speed train crash that the prime minister has vowed to investigate.
The crash late on Sunday is Spain’s deadliest train accident since 2013, when 80 people died after a train veered off a curved section of track outside the northwestern city of Santiago de Compostela.
The latest disaster took place when a train operated by rail company Iryo, travelling from Malaga to Madrid, derailed near Adamuz in the southern Andalusia region.
It crossed onto the other track, where it crashed into an oncoming train, which also derailed.
“This is a day of sorrow for all of Spain, for our entire country,” Prime Minister Pedro Sanchez told reporters during a visit to Adamuz on Monday as he declared three days of mourning.
“We will uncover the answer, and once the cause of this tragedy is determined, we will present it with absolute transparency.”
Forty deaths have been confirmed due to the crash, the head of Andalucia’s regional government, Juan Manuel Moreno, told a news conference, raising the toll from 39.
It would take 24-48 hours “to know with certainty how many deaths have resulted from this terrible accident,” he added.
Heavy machinery was deployed on Monday to lift the most severely damaged train carriages and give rescuers better access to the site of the disaster.
Over 120 people were injured, with 41 still in hospitals in the nearby city of Cordoba, Moreno said.
Relatives and friends of missing passengers have turned to social media, posting photos in an effort to find them.
– ‘Extremely strange’ –
Aerial footage of the crash site from Spain’s Guardia Civil police force showed the two trains far apart, as rescuers in high-visibility neon vests worked nearby.
Unlike the 2013 accident, the derailment occurred on a straight section of track, and the trains were travelling within the speed limit, officials said.
Transport Minister Oscar Puente said the first train to derail was “practically new” and the section of the track where the disaster happened had been recently renovated, making the accident “extremely strange”.
Train operator Iryo said the locomotive was built in 2022 and last inspected just three days before the accident. It said it “veered onto the adjacent track for still unknown reasons”.
The company said around 300 people were on board its service from the Andalusian city of Malaga to the capital, Madrid.
Renfe, the operator of the second train travelling to the southern city of Huelva, said it was carrying 184 passengers.
Human error has “been practically ruled out”, Renfe President Alvaro Fernandez Heredia told Spanish public radio RNE.
Heredia also ruled out speeding as a cause of the accident. He said both trains were traveling just over 200 kilometres (120 miles) per hour, below the 250 kilometres per hour limit for that section of track.
“It must be related to Iryo’s rolling stock or an infrastructure issue,” he added.
– ‘Strong hit’ –
Spain has Europe’s largest high-speed rail network, with more than 3,000 kilometres of dedicated tracks connecting major cities including Madrid, Barcelona, Seville, Valencia and Malaga.
Survivor Lucas Meriako, who was travelling on the first train that derailed, told La Sexta television that it looked “like a horror movie”.
“We felt a very strong hit from behind and the feeling that the whole train was about to collapse, break… there were many injured due to the glass,” he said.
In Adamuz, where white buildings gleam among orange-lined streets, residents rushed to the town hall with supplies as news of the disaster spread.
“We started bringing water, blankets, everything we could,” Manuel Munoz, a 60-year-old olive oil factory worker, told AFP.
Among those offering condolences were Pope Leo XIV and French President Emmanuel Macron.
News
“THEY MAY HAVE GONE TOO DEEP: Investigators are now reviewing what happened inside the Maldives cave after five Italian divers never resurfaced — and attention is suddenly shifting to one number from the dive data 👀 But it’s the final depth reached before contact was lost that people are now desperately trying to understand… 👇
Maldives investigates if Italian divers went too deep in fatal cave dive A speed boat moves in the waters of the Indian Ocean near Male, after a specialist team located the bodies of four missing Italian scuba divers who died…
THIS WAS HER FINAL MESSAGE: Monica Montefalcone’s fiancé has now shared a heartbreaking love letter after the Maldives scuba tragedy — and everyone is focusing on one photo attached to the post that appears to show the couple just days before the dive👇
Italian diver’s fiancé wrote heartbreaking love letter after she died in Maldives scuba tragedy The fiancé of one of the five Italian divers who died in an underwater cave in the Maldives declared his everlasting love for her in a…
“THAT WAS THE LAST TIME HE WAS SEEN.” 🌊😳 The video is believed to have captured the last images of a diver during the search operation in the Maldives — and everyone is now focusing on a strange detail on his oxygen tank that appeared just seconds before the footage ends 👀👇
Eerie video captures final image of military diver killed in Maldives scuba dive recovery mission An eerie video captures the final hours of the Maldivian Coast Guard diver who died Saturday during a dangerous mission to recover the bodies of the Italian tourists trapped…
The Mackenzie Shirilla case has just taken a new turn 🚨 Just days after The Crash premiered on Netflix, Mackenzie’s father was suspended from his job… but now viewers are constantly replaying that 7-second moment when his eyes drop to the table before he finishes his sentence
In the whirlwind days following the May 15, 2026, release of Netflix’s The Crash, the Mackenzie Shirilla saga has once again captivated true crime audiences. What was already a polarizing story of a deadly 2022 high-speed crash has now layered…
PEOPLE AREN’T ARGUING ABOUT THE CRASH ANYMORE 😳 Nearly 4 years after the 100-mph collision that killed Dominic Russo and Davion Flanagan, attention suddenly shifted to a single family interview clip and the folded tissue sitting beside Mackenzie Shirilla’s mother
In the spring of 2026, a Netflix documentary titled The Crash dropped onto screens worldwide, reigniting a case that had largely faded from headlines. What began as a horrific 2022 car accident in Strongsville, Ohio, had already been adjudicated as…
THE DRIVER-SIDE IMPACT IN ASHLIN KNUTH’S CASE IS WHAT HAS EVERYONE TALKING TONIGHT 🚨 Authorities released basic crash details, but the unanswered question surrounding the final 5 seconds before impact is becoming harder to ignore…
Authorities released basic crash details, but the unanswered question surrounding the final 5 seconds before impact is becoming harder to ignore… The devastating driver-side collision that claimed the life of 18-year-old Ashlin Jade Knuth mere hours after her high school…
End of content
No more pages to load