Rob Reiner’s Son Nick’s Severe Mental Health Disorder Revealed, New Meds Made Him ‘Dangerous’
Nick Reiner, son of filmmaker Rob Reiner and Michele Singer Reiner, allegedly killed his parents in their Brentwood home.
Sources have now revealed that a recent medication change for his mental disorder, combined with substance abuse, left him “erratic and dangerous.”
Arrested in Downtown LA, Nick Reiner faces two counts of first-degree murder with potential life without parole or the death penalty.
Nick Reiner, Battling Schizophrenia, Became ‘Out Of His Head’ On New Medication Before Allegedly Killing Parents
Brent Perniac/AdMedia/Newscom/MEGA
Nick Reiner, the middle child of Hollywood director Rob Reiner, had reportedly been struggling with schizophrenia, and sources say a recent change in his medication contributed to increasingly concerning behavior in the weeks leading up to his alleged killing of his parents, Rob and Michele Reiner.
According to TMZ, the 32-year-old’s prescription adjustments, intended to stabilize him, instead made him “erratic and dangerous.”
Combined with ongoing substance abuse, the changes reportedly further destabilized his mental state. Sources described him as being “out of his head” following the adjustment.
He had been receiving treatment at an exclusive Los Angeles mental health and substance abuse facility that reportedly charges around $70,000 per month.
Nick, who lived in his parents’ Brentwood guesthouse, is expected to plead not guilty by reason of insanity. He has a history of violence, substance abuse, and homelessness, and has reportedly sought rehab nearly 20 times.
Nick Reiner Was Arrested And Charged In His Parents’ Fatal Stabbing
Ron Sachs – Pool via CNP / MEGA
Following their tragic passing, Rob, 78, and Michele, 70, were discovered by their daughter Romy Reiner stabbed to death in their home, with sources saying their throats had been cut. The LA County Medical Examiner confirmed the deaths resulted from “multiple sharp force injuries” and ruled the deaths a homicide.
Nick was arrested Sunday night near Exposition Park in Downtown Los Angeles after reportedly leaving behind bloody evidence at a Santa Monica hotel. He was initially booked at Parker Center Jail before being transferred to Twin Towers Correctional Facility, where he is being held without bail.
On Tuesday, he was charged with two counts of first-degree murder with a special circumstance of multiple murders, carrying a potential sentence of life without parole or the death penalty.
He made his first court appearance on Wednesday. With disheveled hair, he appeared stoic and somber, wearing an anti-suicide smock and shackled at both hands and feet. He spoke only to confirm to the judge that he wished to waive his right to a fast arraignment, saying, “Yes, your honor.”
Nick Reiner’s Arraignment Is Set For January 7 As Psychiatric Evaluation Pending
Brent Perniac/AdMedia/Newscom/MEGA
Following the hearing, Nick’s attorney announced that his formal arraignment is set for January 7 and urged the public to avoid rushing to judgment, describing the case as “very, very complex and serious.”
Seth Zuckerman, a criminal defense lawyer, told the BBC that this delay may be intended to allow for a psychiatric evaluation to determine whether Nick is fit to stand trial.
“The psychiatric evaluation is generally done before arraignment to see if he is even fit to stand trial,” Zuckerman said.
LA Police Department Chief Calls The Murder Case ‘Heartbreaking’
Xavier Collin/Image Press Agency/MEGA
Prosecutors have stated that no decision has yet been made regarding whether the death penalty will be pursued.
If convicted, Nick faces the maximum penalties of life imprisonment without parole or the death penalty.
“This case is heartbreaking and deeply personal, not only for the Reiner family and their loved ones, but for the entire city,” LA Police Department chief Jim McDonnell said.
Rob And Michele Reiner’s Children Speak Out, Describe Loss As ‘Unimaginable’ And Request Privacy
LuMarPHOTO / AFF-USA.COM / MEGA
Rob was a celebrated filmmaker whose work spanned multiple genres, directing iconic films such as “This Is Spinal Tap,” “Misery,” and “A Few Good Men.” Michele was an actress, photographer, producer, and founder of Reiner Light, a photography and production company.
For the first time since the tragedy, Rob and Michele’s surviving children, Jake and Romy Reiner, issued a public statement. They described their grief as “unimaginable” after the “horrific and devastating loss” of their parents.
They added: “We are grateful for the outpouring of condolences, kindness, and support we have received not only from family and friends but people from all walks of life.”
They concluded their statement by requesting privacy and asking that their parents be remembered for “the incredible lives they lived and the
They concluded their statement by requesting privacy and asking that their parents be remembered for “the incredible lives they lived and the love they gave.”
News
THERE WERE 2 NAMES SHE REFUSED TO SAY OUT LOUD…: Katie Price has opened up about the period Lee Andrews allegedly worked around “dangerous people” — and one late-night detail from that time is now getting attention👇
Katie Price’s husband worked with ‘dangerous people’ before disappearance The Dubai-based businessman has been missing for more than a week. Lee Andrews reportedly boasted about being an international arms dealer (Image: Instagram/Katie Price) Katie Price’s husband Lee Andrews reportedly “boasted” about…
7 STEPS FROM THE CORNER… THEN SHE WAS GONE: 56-year-old Donike Gocaj was walking to work before disappearing into a NYC manhole — and people are now focusing on one chilling detail: the orange safety cone reportedly sitting near the area that morning 👀👇
Woman Who Died After Falling In Uncovered NYC Manhole Identified As 56-Year-Old Grandma A witness who saw Donike Gocaj fall into the hole told WABC-TV she kept screaming, “I’m dying” over and over. Officials in New York City have announced…
SHE WAS JUST GOING TO WORK: Donike Gocaj, 56, was reportedly walking to her cleaning job when she suddenly disappeared into a New York City sewer
SHE WAS JUST GOING TO WORK Donike Gocaj, 56, was reportedly walking to her cleaning job when she suddenly disappeared into a New York City sewer. But what was found on her phone was what really shocked everyone… 👇 Beloved…
47 MINUTES UNDERWATER… Elite technical divers have returned to the Maldives cave system in the mission linked to the deaths of 5 Italian tourists
47 MINUTES UNDERWATER… Elite technical divers have returned to the Maldives cave system in the mission linked to the deaths of 5 Italian tourists — and attention is now shifting to one narrow section of the route crews reportedly spent…
“I SWEAR I’LL HELP BRING THEM BACK…” — A video is spreading online showing the final known moments of a rescue diver who later died during recovery efforts in the Maldives. The experienced diver had joined the mission to retrieve victims from an underwater cave area and was seen calm just before entering the water for the last time. Loved ones now say the footage feels like an unexpected goodbye. Watch below👇
In the crystal-clear turquoise waters of the Maldives, where paradise often masks peril, a rescue mission turned into a double tragedy that has gripped the world. Staff Sergeant Mohamed Mahdhee (also spelled Mahudhee or Mahdi in reports), a dedicated member…
2 SERGEANTS. 1 FAMILY. 1 NIGHT THAT CHANGED EVERYTHING… Ashley Munoz never made it back after the Highway 101 tr@g3dy… and now, what teammates are saying about their final meal together is leaving many emotional
Two sergeants. One family. One ordinary night that turned into a tragedy no one in Greenville can forget. The head-on collision on Highway 101 shortly after 12:45 a.m. on May 15, 2026, claimed five lives and left Sergeant Diana Munoz…
End of content
No more pages to load