Three sisters who died in sea off Brighton beach are named for first time: Father pays emotional tribute to his daughters as police continue probe into their deaths
Three sisters who died in the sea off Brighton beach have been named for the first time.
Jane Adetoro, 36, Christina Walters, 32, and Rebecca Walters, 31, died early last Wednesday morning after getting into trouble in the water.
The sisters lived in Uxbridge, west London and had been visiting the resort in East Sussex.
They were named today by Sussex Police, as their devastated father, Joseph, released a heartbreaking tribute describing his ‘unbearable’ grief.
He said in a statement: ‘Today, with a heart full of sorrow and love, I pay tribute to my beloved daughters – Jane, Christina, and Becky – whose lives ended so tragically far too soon.
‘No words can truly describe the pain of losing three daughters in the prime of their lives.
‘Jane, Christina, and Becky were more than daughters to me; they were my joy, my strength, and the beautiful light that filled our family with happiness and love.
‘Each of you was unique and precious in your own special way. Your smiles brightened dark days, your laughter brought comfort, and your presence made life more meaningful.
‘Though your time on earth was short, the impact you made will remain in our hearts forever.’

+3
View gallery
Tragic sisters Jane, Christina and Rebecca pictured left-right in their teenage years with their father Joseph
Emergency services were called after concerns were raised for a person’s welfare at around 5.45am on May 13, before the sisters’ bodies were pulled from the water.
Detectives have not yet been able to establish how the women died, although there is no evidence to suggest criminality or anyone else being involved.
The family released a photograph of the three sisters, which was later revealed to be generated by them using AI and based on a genuine picture of the women when they were younger.
They later released a photo of the girls in their teenage years.
Joseph went on to pay tribute to each of his daughters individually.
‘Jane, your strength and loving spirit will never be forgotten. Christina, your kindness and beautiful heart touched so many lives. Becky, your warmth and joyful soul brought happiness wherever you went. You were deeply loved, and you will always be deeply missed.
‘The tragedy of losing all three of you has left an emptiness that words cannot heal. There are days when the grief feels unbearable, yet I hold tightly to the memories we shared — the laughter, the conversations, the love, and the bond that death can never take away.

+3
View gallery
Police stand on the beach at Black Rock near Brighton Marina where the sisters’ bodies were pulled from the water early last Wednesday
‘Though you are no longer here beside us, your spirits live on in our hearts every day. Love like yours never dies. You will forever remain a part of our lives, our prayers, and our memories.
‘Rest peacefully, my precious daughters — Jane, Christina, and Becky. You may be gone from our sight, but never from our hearts. Forever loved. Forever missed. Forever remembered.’
An investigation into how Jane, Christina and Rebecca came to be in the water remains ongoing.
Officers have reviewed hundreds of hours of CCTV and made door-to-door enquiries at properties and businesses around the beach to try and trace the women’s last movements.
Chief Superintendent Adam Hays, Divisional Commander for Brighton and Hove said police are asking anyone with information to come forward.
Officers are particularly keen to speak to anyone who may have seen the three women around the Madeira Drive area between 10pm on Tuesday, May 12, and 5.30am on Wednesday, May 13.
Chief Superintendent Hays said: ‘The thoughts of everyone at Sussex Police are with the family of Jane, Christina and Rebecca following this devastating loss.
‘I know this incident has had a profound impact on the local community in Brighton, and across the country and I’d like to reassure the public we will leave no stone unturned in our investigation to understand exactly what led to the tragic events of that Wednesday morning.
‘This investigation will continue in earnest, with Jane, Christina and Rebecca’s family at its centre. I would ask that they are given the privacy to come to terms with this terrible tragedy.’
One theory being examined by the Coastguard is that at least one of the sisters may have waded out into the sea from the beach but got into difficulty when they stumbled off a shingle shelf where the seabed falls sharply into deep water.
A Coastguard source told the Daily Mail last week: ‘The shoreline off Brighton Beach slopes steeply into deep water, many people don’t realise the danger.
‘You don’t have to go far out at all before there’s a big drop-off and you go from knee-high water to chest-high water.
‘Swimmers can be pulled out of their depth very quickly from the backwash and with pebbles shifting underfoot it becomes difficult to maintain your balance especially when you’re trying to climb back up the slope with waves crashing against you.
‘One theory that the Coastguard are looking at is that at least one of the women went into the sea for a paddle and strayed too far out and were caught out by the sudden drop.’

+3
View gallery
Police at the scene on May 13, shortly after the sisters’ bodies had been pulled from the water
An HM Coastguard helicopter was seen hovering above the water last Wednesday morning, as well as Coastguard Rescue Teams from Shoreham, Newhaven, Littlehampton and Birling Gap.
Three RNLI lifeboats from Sussex were also involved in the search – including the Brighton lifeboat and the Shoreham all-weather lifeboat – which launched at around 6am before being stood down later in the morning.
Bella Sankey, the leader of Brighton and Hove City Council, said she was ‘shocked and deeply saddened’ by the tragedy.
‘My heart goes out to the friends and family of these women and on behalf of Brighton and Hove, I send sincere condolences,’ she said.
Chris Ward, the Labour MP for Brighton Kemptown and Peacehaven, said it was ‘deeply tragic news and understandably very concerning for our community and everyone affected’.
‘I would like to thank our emergency services for their swift response and the difficult work they continue to carry out at the scene,’ he added
News
ONE STEP CHANGED EVERYTHING: New details have emerged following the tragic death of 56-year-old Donike Gocaj, and everyone is now focused on what passersby overheard. Just 3 words, but they revealed the cause of death.
In the bustling heart of Midtown Manhattan, a single, ordinary step turned a routine evening into an unimaginable tragedy. On May 18, 2026, 56-year-old grandmother Donike Gocaj stepped out of her Mercedes-Benz SUV near East 52nd Street and Fifth Avenue—steps…
56-year-old grandmother Donike Gocaj’s cause of death has now been revealed after the tragic manhole incident 💔
In the heart of Midtown Manhattan, one of the world’s most iconic and bustling districts, a simple act—stepping out of a car—turned fatal in an instant. On the evening of May 18, 2026, 56-year-old grandmother Donike Gocaj parked her Mercedes-Benz…
“THEY THOUGHT SHE JUST DISAPPEARED…” 😳 The cause of death has now been revealed for 56-year-old Donike Gocaj after the grandmother fell into a manhole 💔 But it’s one disturbing detail about the final moments before she vanished that is now leaving people with even more questions… 👀👇
Medical examiner breaks down excruciating cause of death from falling in NYC manhole — following mom Donike Gocaj’s tragic demise It’s the “worst way” to die in New York City. Falling into a manhole — as devoted mother Donike Gocaj did…
“THEY MAY HAVE GONE TOO DEEP: Investigators are now reviewing what happened inside the Maldives cave after five Italian divers never resurfaced — and attention is suddenly shifting to one number from the dive data 👀 But it’s the final depth reached before contact was lost that people are now desperately trying to understand… 👇
Maldives investigates if Italian divers went too deep in fatal cave dive A speed boat moves in the waters of the Indian Ocean near Male, after a specialist team located the bodies of four missing Italian scuba divers who died…
THIS WAS HER FINAL MESSAGE: Monica Montefalcone’s fiancé has now shared a heartbreaking love letter after the Maldives scuba tragedy — and everyone is focusing on one photo attached to the post that appears to show the couple just days before the dive👇
Italian diver’s fiancé wrote heartbreaking love letter after she died in Maldives scuba tragedy The fiancé of one of the five Italian divers who died in an underwater cave in the Maldives declared his everlasting love for her in a…
“THAT WAS THE LAST TIME HE WAS SEEN.” 🌊😳 The video is believed to have captured the last images of a diver during the search operation in the Maldives — and everyone is now focusing on a strange detail on his oxygen tank that appeared just seconds before the footage ends 👀👇
Eerie video captures final image of military diver killed in Maldives scuba dive recovery mission An eerie video captures the final hours of the Maldivian Coast Guard diver who died Saturday during a dangerous mission to recover the bodies of the Italian tourists trapped…
End of content
No more pages to load