Lily’s mother received the final message from her: After eight days of not knowing the whereabouts of their 18-year-old daughter, Lily Hooper’s family was suddenly informed that she had been found. Her mother immediately prepared for the reunion, while her father brought along her guitar and her favorite Tim Tams. But the meeting they had envisioned never took place. A communication error led the family to believe Lily was still alive—before the truth was revealed.

**Lily’s mother received the final message from her: After eight days of not knowing the whereabouts of their 18-year-old daughter, Lily Hooper’s family was suddenly informed that she had been found.**
For more than a week, Jim and his wife had lived in a state of suspended dread. Their daughter Lily, 18, had left their Oakdale home on the morning of 12 August 2026 to hike alone in Nattai National Park. She never returned. Her car was found that night near the Bonnum Pic Walking Trail. From that moment, the family remained at the search command post in the Southern Highlands, watching hundreds of police, SES volunteers, Defence Force personnel and other emergency services comb the rugged terrain day and night.
On Thursday morning, 20 August, the long wait appeared to end. Around 11.30am, SES searchers located a person in thick, dense bushland off the trail. An initial radio report from the scene indicated the teenager had been found alive. That information was passed to the command post and then conveyed to Lily’s parents by a police officer who had been in daily contact with them throughout the search.
In those first moments, the family believed their daughter was alive. After eight days of not knowing, the news that she had been found triggered an immediate, powerful shift from fear to hope. Her mother began preparing for the reunion she had prayed for. The emotional weight of the moment was immense. For a short window — estimated by police at between eight and ten minutes — the Hoopers thought they would soon see Lily again.
That hope did not last.
A corrected report reached the command post. The more accurate account confirmed that the young woman found in the bushland was deceased. Police believe the body is Lily’s, though formal identification is still pending. The meeting the family had begun to imagine never took place. Instead of a reunion, they received the devastating confirmation that their daughter would not be coming home.
NSW Police Commissioner Mal Lanyon later addressed the error directly and without qualification. “I unashamedly apologise for any additional trauma that may have caused Lily’s family,” he said. “The miscommunication was born out of elation that Lily had been found and her condition at that time was such that searchers were relieved, and certainly those at the command post were elated. Tragically, that miscommunication then led to a deflation and obviously we know now an impact on her family.”
Assistant Commissioner Joe Cassar explained the practical difficulties that contributed to the mistake. Searchers were operating with handheld radios in remote terrain known for poor reception and black spots. “They’re carrying handheld communication devices … sometimes the communication is a challenge,” he said. “There’s no playbook to communication.” He confirmed that the family was told of the initial report that Lily was alive before the updated, accurate information arrived. “I cannot turn the clock back,” Cassar added. “If we were able to provide them more detailed information on that first report, I can tell you that would have been the case.”
Police have rejected any suggestion that they “jumped the gun.” Both Lanyon and Cassar described the sequence as the product of genuine relief after days of searching under difficult conditions, combined with the inherent limitations of radio contact in dense bushland. The communications breakdown will form part of the brief of evidence prepared for the coroner, and both police and the SES will review their procedures.
The emotional cost of those few minutes is difficult to overstate. After eight days of uncertainty, the family was given a brief, false belief that Lily had survived, only for that belief to be taken away. Public reporting has noted that Lily’s parents expressed relief to media in the short period before the correction arrived. The subsequent confirmation of her death compounded an already unbearable grief.
Lily had been missing since she left home around 8am on 12 August. She was an experienced bushwalker who regularly undertook challenging routes. Her car was found parked near the trailhead that night. Over the following days, nearly a thousand people participated in the search at various points, including more than 100 Australian Defence Force personnel, hundreds of SES volunteers, PolAir helicopters, the police dog unit and multiple other agencies. The body was found a significant distance from both the marked trail and her vehicle. Recovery from the remote site is expected to be slow and difficult.
Police have stated they currently do not suspect foul play. Criminal investigators from the Hume Police District are involved as standard protocol. A full coronial investigation will examine the time, place and circumstances of Lily’s death. Assistant Commissioner Cassar has said it is too early to determine the cause of death or whether injuries were sustained.
The Premier, Chris Minns, was also affected by the incorrect information. During a budget estimates hearing he announced that Lily had been found alive “in the bush with half a bottle of water with her,” describing it as fantastic news and thanking the search teams. Shortly afterwards he returned with the corrected information, visibly distressed, and apologised to the committee and to the family. In a later statement he said he had genuinely believed he was sharing good news and expressed profound regret if his words had added to the family’s heartbreak.
Political leaders across the spectrum have offered condolences. Prime Minister Anthony Albanese called Lily’s death an unspeakable tragedy and said she had so much more to offer the world. Local MP and Opposition Leader Angus Taylor said any parent reading the news would hold their children tighter and spare a thought for a family that could no longer do the same.

For Lily’s parents, the sequence of Thursday morning remains a particularly cruel chapter in an already devastating story. They had waited eight days at the command post. They had watched the search unfold. They had received the news that their daughter had been found. And for a few brief minutes they believed she was alive. Then the truth arrived.
The body is still to be formally identified and recovered. The coronial process will take time. What is already clear is that a communication error in the final moments of a massive search operation inflicted an additional and unnecessary layer of trauma on a family that had already endured more than most.
Lily Hooper was 18. She loved the bush. She set out on a trail she knew and did not return. Her family waited. They hoped. For a short time on Thursday they believed that hope had been answered. It had not. The meeting they prepared for in those minutes never happened. The final confirmation was not of survival, but of loss.
Police have apologised. The investigation continues. And a family that spent eight days not knowing the whereabouts of their daughter now faces the permanent knowledge that she is gone.